This is the core 15-week programme that is at the heart of Jesus Shaped People. Every church that engages with Jesus Shaped People will undertake this programme. So its essential that you understand what's involved. Read this page for everything you need to know!
When you're done, visit our What Next page to find out about getting started with Jesus Shaped People, and view samples of the resources.
A comprehensive 15-week programme based on the life and ministry of Jesus
Jesus Shaped People looks at the life of Jesus in a fresh way. It asks 'What would happen to our church if we based everything we do on the life of Jesus?'. Not only is it a radical way to handle the Gospels, it leads to a complete re-orientation in our churches.
For this reason the core programme lasts for 15 weeks. Fully immersing a church in the teaching of Jesus can't happen overnight. It takes time. By setting aside 15 weeks, we allow people the time and space they need to think in new ways and explore the radical transformation that Jesus brings.
And, of course, that means more than Sundays! At the heart of the programme are small groups, where as many as are able join together to explore the themes. We provide fully detailed small group resources with bible study questions, interactive exercises, prayers, activities and much more.
But we don't forget Sundays either! There are sermon notes for preachers, as well as worship ideas, song suggestions, prayers and everything you need to deliver fully comprehensive Jesus Shaped People worship and teaching.
Building on Five key themes from Jesus' ministry
Jesus Shaped People identifies five key themes from the life of Jesus. These are
- People: Jesus wasn't a 'buildings person'. He was the original 'people person', someone who went out from religious institutions and met people where they were.
- Teaching: Jesus teaches people in a down-to-earth practical way. Using illustrations from real life, his teaching is challenging, but not condemning.
- Team Building: Right from the start Jesus was looking for a group of people with whom he could share his life and mission. And he gave quality to time to that group, building relationships and equipping them for what was to come.
- Prayer: Despite being mega-busy, Jesus made a priority of carving out time for prayer. And he spent time teaching and showing others how to pray
- Prophetic Challenge: Jesus often found himself in conflict with the authorities—particularly the religious ones! He never shirked that conflict, but responded with a powerful and disturbing message.
Jesus Shaped People explores each of these themes - with each theme taking up three weeks within the overall 15-week programme.
A fully developed church development programme that really works!
Jesus Shaped People hasn't come from a classroom or a college, but a parish church on one of the toughest and most disadvantaged estates in the North of England. Having been extensively tested in other parishes, and following a lengthy process of improvement and development, the programme is now being made more widely available.
This is not simply another course. And your church will never see the fruitfulness that the programme can bear if you see it in that way. This is nothing less than a seed change in how the church operates. And its all based on reading the Gospel and asking 'What would happen if we did this stuff?'.
With resources for Sunday worship, midweek groups, young people and children, plus a growing range of follow-on materials to fully embed the principles of Jesus Shaped People into your church, this is a complete package.
Alongside the materials, there is the help of an experienced mentor to help you prepare fully and be equipped to take full advantage of the programme. Expect to spend up to a year in preparation, as you will need the support and involvement of leaders and people alike. There is a lot of work ahead for any church looking to engage with Jesus Shaped People. But its also a lot of fun, deeply enriching and a process which has been shown to bear much fruit in the life of the local church.